Saturday, May 5, 2007

Didn't realize just how dirty my reels were...

I cleaned my spinning reels tonight and couldn't believe the difference in them after I got them cleaned, lubed and put back together. I tore one of the Calais's down and cleaned it and it is a lot smoother now. So, I can see that I am going to have to go through all the reels and clean them and lube them up.

When I put new line on a reel, I always tape a piece of paper onto the rod near the reel end that says what line, what strength and what day I put the line on the reel. It sure makes it a lot easier to know if I need to respool a reel or not.

On some mono or fluorocarbon coated lines, it is hard to tell if the line is aged or not. The braided lines are easy to tell if they have some age on them as they fade.

One other thing that I do to my rods when I respool the reel is to take a cotton q-tip and run it around all the eyes on the rod. This will show any places that are not smooth and could damage the fishing line going through it.

Greg

No comments: